At Fetch’s meat market on Wyoming Avenue in Wyoming, Dave Fetch Jr. and his son, Dave III, are serving up quality meats — and local nostalgia.
Original 1960s posters advertising teenage dances at Hanson’s at Harveys Lake with the Cobras and at Wyoming Area Junior High School (Tenth Street School) with the Whazoos decorate the back wall. The Wyoming Area dance was sponsored by the Interact Club, a division of Rotary International for teenagers. Shortened to “TAC Dances,” they ran Tuesday nights in the summer in the Tenth Street gym.
A 1920s cash register and an early mechanical adding machine sit on a corner table. On the wall opposite the meat counter are framed Fetch’s newspaper ads and stories.
The vintage items are a homage to Fetch’s deep history in Wyoming Borough. Dave Jr.’s grandfather, George Fetch, learned the butcher trade at Percy Brown’s in Wilkes-Barre and was still in his teens when he opened the original Fetch’s food market in 1922, at 12 Sixth St., Wyoming, just around the corner from the current location.
George was an active character. He was on a committee of “Anthracite Boosters” who tried to get an anthracite exhibit into the New York World’s Fair and, as chairman of the Wyoming Chapter of Rotary International, he traveled to Cuba for a Rotary convention.
While George ran his food market in Wyoming, his brother, Ted, had a restaurant/bakery/fountain at 46 Luzerne Ave., West Pittston. Ted’s sponsored basketball team won the Dupont League in 1948 with 12-1 record, the only loss to American Theater, 44-42.
In 1943, George bought the building pictured here. It is at Wyoming Avenue and Sixth Street, directly across the Ave. from the current Fetch’s. Built in 1938, it is little changed. Right now the storefront is unoccupied, last having housed Januzzi’s Pizza, which moved to Exeter three years ago. George ran his store there until he died in 1967. His son and grandson, Dave Sr. and Dave Jr., carried on. Dave Jr. said he learned to cut meat at 5 years old. He recalls smoking meat with cherry and hickory logs in the basement clean-out of the store’s chimney.
In 1982, Dave Sr. and Dave Jr. opened a full scale supermarket in Plymouth and operated both stores until 1993, when they sold the Wyoming Avenue building George had bought in 1943.
In 1997, they opened a supermarket in Wyoming, across from the Midway Shopping Center, in what is now Gerrity’s. They sold that in 2002 and concentrated on the Plymouth store.
Dave Sr. died in 2007, at 77. Three years later, in November 2010, Dave Jr. and his son, Dave III, sold the Plymouth store. Less than a month later, they made it full circle when they opened the current store in December 2010 at 182 Wyoming Ave., from where Dave Jr. can look out the window to get a full dose of nostalgia with a view of the old store where he grew up in the business.
When they opened in 2010, the two Daves saw the business as a seasonal kielbasa store open only during the run up to Easter, Christmas and the New Year.
Since then, they have expanded to a full service, year-round meat market serving sausage, ham, pork chops, steaks, roasts, chicken, slab bacon, footlong hotdogs and much more, including a new line of homemade ravioli and cappelletti and, of course, the signature kielbasa made from grandfather George’s original mild, hot and garlic recipes.