Summer hours at Pittston Memorial Library are 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Friday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. The library is closed Sunday and Wednesday. There will be extended hours Thursdays, Aug. 10 and Aug. 17, with the library opening at 9 a.m. The library will be closed Saturday, Aug. 19, and Monday, Sept. 4. Fall/winter hours begin Sept. 9.
The library congratulates the kids, tweens and adults who took part in the summer reading program. Together, everyone read a combined 92,391 minutes.
• The library’s children’s wing will celebrate its second birthday with an open house ice cream sundae social on Saturday, Aug. 5. Ice cream will be served from 11 a.m. to noon with a topping bar in the community room. The library will be open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The library thanks Blue Ribbon Dairy and The George Engleman Family for sponsoring this event.
• The library will host its third year of Chalk the Walks of the Library from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 15. For more information about the program, visit chalkthewalks.com.
• The Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders mascot Champ will visit the library for story time at 11 a.m. Friday, Aug. 18. He will be bringing one of the members of the baseball team with him, too. Participants are encouraged to bring their cameras.
This event will be held in the John P. Cosgrove Center. Call 570-654-9565, ext. 26, to register for this free event. Space is limited. Children must have an adult present at all times.
• The library will be selling candy at the Pittston Tomato Festival from Thursday, Aug. 17, to Sunday, Aug. 20.
• Miss Kristin, children’s librarian, will be at the Pittston Farmers Market for story time at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 22. Participants will read stories, do a fingerplay, sing a song and have lots of fun.
• Book it Through Pittston 2017 in Memory of Tom and Dianne Tigue will be held Saturday, Sept. 9. Register for the race/walk online at runsignup.com/Race/Register/?raceId=34907 A kickoff event will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 7, at the Red Mill in Pittston. This event will be no cover and will include raffles and a 50/50.
• The Taste of Greater Pittston 2017 will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday Sept. 24, at the library. Tickets are $30 each and will be available for purchase soon.
• The 11th annual Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Conference will be held Friday, Oct. 20, at Genetti’s in Wilkes-Barre. This all day event will feature many speakers and vendor tables. Grandparents are free, and professional social service representatives cost $35. More information will be announced soon.
• Join the Pittston Memorial Library for An Evening of Murder from 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 4, at Cooper’s on the Waterfront in Pittston. The evening will include dinner, adult beverages and a comedy show. This year’s mystery is called “Best Laid Plans: A Hollywood Whodunnit.” Tickets are $60 each and are not available at the door. Call Noelle at the library at 570-654-9565 to reserve a spot.
The library is always in the need of funding. Anyone desiring to make a tax deductible donation can contact Howard Grossman at 570-654-9565, ext. 25, or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Donations can be a current contribution or part of a planned giving program.
Check out the library’s new website at pittstonmemoriallibrary.org.