The Luzerne House, a hotel in West Pittston, was built in 1858 on a plot of land bounded by the DL&W Railroad and Philadelphia, Delaware and Tunkhannock avenues, roughly where the Little League is today. Luzerne House was part of a plan to establish a Borough of Luzerne on 700 acres in the southwestern corner of West Pittston from Montgomery Avenue to the border with Exeter. After that plan fell through, it was thought the Luzerne House would be the center of attraction in West Pittston, as it was near the DL&W Station. It was a grand building with wide porticos and large rooms with 12-foot ceilings. The hotel was a meeting place for various groups, including the West Pittston Eagle Club baseball team, one of the earliest teams in Greater Pittston, which had an organizational meeting there in 1866. But the Luzerne House never took off as a hotel, as that part of West Pittston remained sparsely settled. It got a bad reputation as a drinking establishment under the ownership of Thomas Halfpenny. It was the only licensed bar in West Pittston until, under pressure from the citizens, the count court refused to renew the license. The Luzerne House was demolished in 1929.
Information is from a Pittston Gazette story from May 11, 1929